Re: [Phys-l] Technical Question on Posting Procedure

and it showed up on the bottom of the page outside of that thread. The method I have been using to respond is:

1) Copy the subject of the last post and use that as the subject for my reply.

Why are you copy/pasting? For most mailers, starting a new message will start a new thread. Just hit reply, the subject is filled in automatically with an "Re:" prepended, information for maintaining the thread will be retained, and then just send. What e-mail client are you using for which this procedure doesn't work?

FYI likewise, don't hit reply, then change the subject. That will put a new subject on an old thread.

If you want to start a new thread, start a new message with a new subject. Otherwise, use the reply button and don't change the subject line, even if earlier posters have misspelled something or don't meet your standards of conciseness.

Stefan Jeglinski