Re: [Phys-l] Out-of-Class Work (was Lecture vs Advocacy)

| Now the homework thing sounds like part of what you're asking
| for, but we all know that some (a lot of?) kids copy it, or
| dash it off without thought.
| We also know that some kids "got it" in class and, for them,
| the assignment is just "busy work", so they may not do it.
| Part of my concern about grading homework is that a kid who
| actually knows the material and gets a high grade on the
| test, sees that grade getting reduced because of a low
| homework grade, while another kid who has the virtue of
| working hard is rewarded for his or her homework, but doesn't
| know the material nearly as well. There seems something
| fundamentally wrong with that outcome to me - Partially, I
| suppose, because I was the kid who didn't see the point in
| doing homework on something I already understood.

You would have loved to be in my physics sections. The final grade for
a test is structured using a formula that only has HW points helping the
grade; therefore a student like you can get a 100 on the test a zero on
the HW and still get 100% of the points for the course. (It is a rare
student who can do this.)

For those interested, one can cobble together many such formulas, mine
is

Grade = T + (100-T)*H/A

T = raw test score as a percentage

H = percentage of possible HW points obtained for that material covered
on the test

A = a tuning parameter that effectively limits the amount of extra
points HW adds to the test score

I currently set A=300, I started out 20 years ago with A=200, but with
the more easily accessible solutions that exist now days on the web I
needed to adjusted the tuning parameter so HW wasn't obviating the need
for studying for the tests.