Re: [Phys-l] The behavior of light

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>

*) Let's assume _uniform_ motion. No acceleration. That is,
let's not get this mixed up with the infamous twins, one of
whom is _accelerated_.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/twins.htm

But John, where's the fun in this? It IS the twins that fascinate people, and yes we get into accelerations here, but to me the fascination of SR is the idea that by taking a trip at high speed and returning, I can effectively travel into the future. Be alive 1000 years from now. It is the possibility (however slight from a practical point of view) that individuals could make trips of hundreds or thousands of light years in spite of the limitation of the speed of light that inspires. You can call it geometric projections if you want, but those fast moving mesons live long enough to get to the earth's surface despite a half-life classically too short to do so. The 'moving clocks run slow' relative to certain observers should not be lost from the intro physics texts and replaced with space/time geometry which is 'fun' to far too few.

;-)

Rick