Re: [Phys-l] The behavior of light

Regarding Rick's idea of fun:

But John, where's the fun in this? It IS the twins that fascinate
people, and yes we get into accelerations here, but to me the
fascination of SR is the idea that by taking a trip at high speed
and returning, I can effectively travel into the future.

Of course we all can travel into the future by just staying home,
too. None of us are getting any younger.

Be alive 1000 years from now.

OK, but that doesn't make your own personal life expectancy any
longer. And how much fun would it really be to have been gone
missing all that history anyway, and only to show up later as a
hopelessly out-of-touch alien in an alien world where you can't
by Roddy McDowell's relatives, Biff, or some Eloi, Morlocks, or
who knows what else. :)

David Bowman