Re: [Phys-l] Paradoxes, or not. (Was: invariant mass...)

At 1:50 PM -0700 2/26/08, John Denker wrote:

To answer my own rhetorical question: I think teaching
paradoxes (in an introductory course) is the epitome of bad
pedagogy. It just sows confusion. Where's the fun in that? Maybe if I were a sadist I would enjoy tormenting the students. Maybe if I were really, really insecure I would need a way
to confuse the students so I would look smart by comparison. Either way it sounds like bad pedagogy to me.

I think it depends on how you do it. If you lead the students to think that you have stated the problem correctly, then you do confuse the students, but if you put the problem out in the form of how different observers see the same situation, then it becomes an "apparent paradox," which, when the problem is properly stated, goes away. So using this technique enables students to realize just what you said--a correctly stated problem cannot lead to a paradox.

In my use of apparent paradoxes in the classroom, the emphasis is on what the different observers see and why that shouldn't be surprising if you describe the situation correctly. I also use the idea of apparent paradox to establish why relativity works only along the line of motion and not transverse to it. I think the way the word "paradox" is being used here is more closely related to "proof by contradiction," than to the more traditional definition of paradox.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar