Re: [Phys-l] energy is well defined

On 02/18/2008 11:40 AM, Jeff Weitz wrote:

Why define "energy"? Look at the linguistic knots we get stuck in.

That's a reasonable question.

There are lots of people who can _count_ just fine, using the
concept of integer, without being able to give a concise
definition of "integer".

Students like definitions, but this is not always a good thing.

How about defining "kinetic energy" as the work done to accelerate an object
from rest to a given speed?

That doesn't work too well for photons.

In my experience, it is relatively easier to understand energy as
a whole -- plain old energy -- and relatively harder to understand
the various categories and subtypes.

In particular, it is easier to know the energy of a photon than to
know what part of it is kinetic and what part is potential.

Then, how about defining "change in potential energy" as the negative of the
work done by a conservative force on an object that moves from one point to
another?

"Potential energy" as an absolute value remains undefined since the
reference point is arbitrary. But, in practice, we speak of "potential
energy" as the change in PE from a specified reference. The two definitions
insure that the sum of KE and PE remains constant as long as there are no
non-conservative forces acting, which helps to motivate the odd-looking
definition of (delta)PE.

An advantage of these definitions is that it puts the work in the past, not
in the future,

That's clever.

as in "ability to do work,"

So now (if you'll pardon my awkward phrasing) it's "ability to have been
done by work". That's clever. That puts us on the correct side of the
inequality in the 2nd law of thermodynamics. I will need some time to
think about this.

All this is predicated on students having a robust pre-existing notion
of "work" ... which is not always the case. There is a school of
thought that starts with energy and derives work from there. There
are some applications, such as piloting an airplane, where it is
important to think about energy, but incomparably less important to
think about force dot displacement.

======

Once you adopt the work-in-the-past idea, can't you drop the restriction
about "conservative" forces?

There's lots of non-conservative force fields in the world. Don't they
do work, too?

In particular, the "electric power" sold by the electric company is
almost always traceable to non-conservative fields in a dynamo
somewhere.