Re: [Phys-l] STUDY SUGGESTS NO CHILD LAW MAY BE DUMBING DOWNSTUDENTS

A few points:

"Get over it" does not work for those with anxiety disorders (which
might be what Joe B was implying). If you don't believe in such
disorders, then talk to someone that is on medication for the disorder.
The medication makes a difference. The disorder is not always diagnosed
in those that are in elementary school.

Social promotion was, at one time, research based. Students that had to
repeat grades were found to be more likely to drop-out of school. I
believe there might be a balancing point, but I do not know what it is.

Regarding grouping: when I was in elementary school, each classroom had
between 2-4 reading group that were scaled by ability. Nothing special
needed there. I don't know why this couldn't be done in math as well.
Unfortunately, my school did not do this is in math.

Regarding re-teaching: In my opinion... a big problem a lot of teachers
are a slave to the textbook. For some reason each science textbook
seems to start with the blasted metric system. For crying out loud,
skip it. Measurement, skip it. Conversions, skip it. Trig, skip it.
Teach them in the course (my opinion). I am certain that there are
those on this list that will say these things are large deficiencies in
'todays' students. That is the argument most hs teachers use to spend
the first month of school teaching review material. I still say skip
it.

Paul Lulai . . . To wonder is to begin to understand
Physics Instructor
Science Olympiad Coach
US First Robotics Teacher
.: Medtronic - St Anthony RoboHuskie Team 2574:.
Saint Anthony Village Senior High School, ISD 282
3303 33rd Avenue N.E.
Saint Anthony Village, MN 55418
(w) 612-706-1144
(fax) 612-706-1140