Re: [Phys-l] STUDY SUGGESTS NO CHILD LAW MAY BE DUMBING DOWNSTUDENTS

In my state the process is

Take the test in spring
If you fail then you retake the test early summer
If you still fail then you take summer school and then retake at end of
summer
If you still fail you repeat the grade.

At any point along the way, the parents/teachers can appeal if the
grades indicate mastery where the test did not.

My concerns about test anxiety are for those students who have mastered
the material but still worry about the test enough to cause problems.
In my own family's case, my son became physically ill for as much as a
week before and a week after the test. He always did well on the tests,
but worried so much anyway. I have friends whose children worried
themselves into low and even failing scores. They knew the material -
they just had difficulty with communicating it under the pressure of a
high stakes test. I have no problem with the graduation test, really.
I don't really object to the high stakes testing in principle. But, it
has become meaningless with the appeals. If grades are enough to
overturn the results of the test, then the test is meaningless. And,
since the test has become meaningless, then I must ask why we put
children through this sort of stress.

Mariam Dittmann, Ph.D.