Re: [Phys-l] Purpose of education. Was: Re: Kozol fasts to protest NCLB - defense of unions

And I'm not surprised.

The "bc doesn't think so." refers to: purpose to produce productive members, NOT an argument to pay teachers more *.

I think Webster was referring to schools, which at the time was elementary. After elementary, production, as in the trades, applies. Tho at that time apprenticing was the dominant method. Here's an interesting trivium: Governor Edmund G. (Pat) Brown [father of moonbeam] didn't go to law school; he read law at a firm, i.e. was an apprentice. So I was told by a municipal court judge, no less. According to Wiki, I'm very wet.

bc

* I suspect teachers (school) is considerably more effective than the police in ensuring good order.

Jack Uretsky wrote:

I thought it was too narrow. Perhaps the problem is an underappreciation of the limitations of written (e-mail) communication.
I have no idea what bc is trying to say.
Regards,
Jack