Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB - defense of unions

John C. wrote:

| Is teacher tenure really a problem, or is needed protection
| against administrators that want their side of education
| promoted (creationism?
| McCarthyism? You name your favorite...)
|
| One way to look at this would be to compare test results on a
| state by state basis with the tenure laws. Since some states
| do not have tenure it might be possible to do a statistical
| analysis and see if there is a correlation.
| There should be 50 data points so this is a manageable
| problem. Anyone want to come up with some real answers????
|
| Of course to do it right one should correct for SES.

It would also be interesting to do such a study comparing states where
it is legal for teachers to strike and one's where it is illegal.

Joel R.

(Living in a state where it illegal for all state employees to strike,
not just public safety employees. And where we do not have binding
arbitration.) (kind of means all negotiating is meaningless)