[Phys-l] This might interest J.D.

This is from tap-l

bc

Has anybody had success demonstrating that many wind turbines are
designed to spin using Bernoulli's principle? Or come to think of it,
does anyone demonstrate any airfoil?

Anon.

I do not believe that any wind turbines are designed to spin using Bernoulli's principle; they work by deflecting the air stream such that the reaction force on the blades causes the turbine to spin, operating according to Newton's law of action and reaction.

We do have an airfoil demonstration. When operated properly there is a small but measurable pressure difference between the top and the bottom of the airfoil. Inasmuch as the air flow is laminar around the airfoil, I presume that this could be said to demonstrate the Bernoulli's effect. You can look at the device and see what you think.

http://www.physics.umd.edu/lecdem/services/demos/demosf5/f5-11.htm

Dick

Dr. Richard E. Berg, Professor of the Practice
Director, Physics Lecture-Demonstration Facility
U.S. mail address:
Department of Physics
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-4111