Re: [Phys-l] study of IP and AB

I read through most of the report, and as I suspected the report is
basically the personal opinion of one reviewer/subject. The reviewers were
all picked to agree with the orientation of the Fordham Foundation.

For Biology, their bias is towards facts and definitions. They do not
acknowledge that most science curricula are a mile wide and an inch deep,
although they mention that is a criticism of most curricula by some people.
They do not place any importance on inquiry and on student understanding of
the nature of science. Actually they deprecate this. There is also no
mention of any research results vs what the college board is testing.

Again, the recent Sadler report shows that physics AP courses are not very
effective. But then of course, he might find the same thing is true of many
college courses.

The Fordham report is basically an opinion piece with no research behind it.
There is some good research on Biology curricula by Anton Lawson at AZ
State. Actually his research shows that the level of student thinking
increases dramatically when a learning cycle approach is used, but remains
fairly low if it is not.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

The Fordham foundation recently put out a report evaluating AP
and IB. The evaluation goes into some detail.

Entry point:
http://edexcellence.net/foundation/publication/publication.cfm?id=378
Nutshell summary:
http://www.edexcellence.net/doc/APIB_Nutshell.pdf
Full report (52 pages) [recommended]:
http://www.edexcellence.net/doc/APIB.pdf

And there is a Washington Post article on the subject that I found
amusing:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
dyn/content/article/2007/11/13/AR2007111300695.html?hpid=news-col-blog

To boil down the report to few sentences, the foundation found
the AP and IB situation to be "mostly encouraging". This is in
stark contrast to their opinion of state standards, "which have
consistently shown that expectations for American primary and
secondary students are typically weak and watered down."