Re: [Phys-l] 1869 MIT Entrance Exam

On 10/02/2007 02:24 PM, Karim Diff asked:

Are tests supposed to be about "real-world" situations or about whatever
was done in the classroom (whether it was real-world or not)?

Here's the deal:

1) School should prepare people for life in the real world (*).

2) Teachers tend (*) to teach to the test. This can be a good
thing or a bad thing, depending on the test.

3) Therefore my answer is clear: In most cases the test should
be representative of the real world.

(*) with minor exceptions that we need not discuss right now.

I've done a lot of recruiting and hiring. I don't know how many
times, when interviewing a candidate who had a Masters in EE from
an Ivy League school, I found that the guy ate breakfast on the
complex-s plane, but didn't know how to use a soldering iron,
couldn't explain why the switch I gave him had six terminals on
the bottom (instead of two), and generally made it clear that he
had never built anything in his entire life. And the guy with
a Masters in Computer Science could talk on and on about NP-
completeness but couldn't get a real computer to do simple tasks.

Of course it wasn't all bad; the good candidates were really,
really, good ... but usually on account of some non-classroom
experience:
-- work-study job in a research lab
-- part-time job in industry
-- ham radio or other high-tech hobby
-- et cetera

All in all, I think that unreal tests matched to unreal class
work are a big, scary problem.