Re: [Phys-l] 1869 MIT Entrance Exam

[bc "blows his own horn".]

" -- ham radio or other high-tech hobby"

One of the interviewees in the PBS doc. on the Fuze said he always selected the radio hams for his development team.

bc, former W6TFE, and wonders about the imaginary world.

p.s. as a freshman at UCSB, I suggested the PI use pulsed 420 MHz transmitters instead of co-ax. for his large area cosmic ray detector. (projected total of about 5 km of cable). I had previously converted the aircraft IFF (APS-13 Id. friend /foe) for voice comm. It used blocking oscillator pulse transformers. I learned much from Elmore and Sands and didn't realize Matt was a coauthor 'till mentioned at his retirement "festschrift" colloquium from Santa Cruz! I then had him autograph my copy.

John Denker wrote:

On 10/02/2007 02:24 PM, Karim Diff asked:

Are tests supposed to be about "real-world" situations or about whatever was done in the classroom (whether it was real-world or not)?

Here's the deal:

1) School should prepare people for life in the real world (*).

2) Teachers tend (*) to teach to the test. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the test.

3) Therefore my answer is clear: In most cases the test should be representative of the real world.

(*) with minor exceptions that we need not discuss right now.

I've done a lot of recruiting and hiring. I don't know how many
times, when interviewing a candidate who had a Masters in EE from an Ivy League school, I found that the guy ate breakfast on the
complex-s plane, but didn't know how to use a soldering iron,
couldn't explain why the switch I gave him had six terminals on
the bottom (instead of two), and generally made it clear that he
had never built anything in his entire life. And the guy with
a Masters in Computer Science could talk on and on about NP-
completeness but couldn't get a real computer to do simple tasks.

Of course it wasn't all bad; the good candidates were really,
really, good ... but usually on account of some non-classroom
experience:
-- work-study job in a research lab
-- part-time job in industry
-- ham radio or other high-tech hobby
-- et cetera

All in all, I think that unreal tests matched to unreal class
work are a big, scary problem.