From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of Rick Tarara
Sent: Fri 12/1/2006 9:07 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] NCLB petition

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rauber, Joel" <Joel.Rauber@SDSTATE.EDU>

I see nothing wrong with testing per se, and its nothing new. Way back
40 some odd years ago, I was thoroughly tested in my elementary school.
I well remember filling in bubble scan achievment tests. A difference
was that it didn't occur every year. I vaguely remember being tested
either 2 or 3 time in the first 8 grades with a major set of achievment
tests. Their were other smaller standardized testing done.

I remember being tested EVERY year K-8 primarily for reading because our
curriculum had several reading levels for each grade. Everybody had a book
of 3 minute readings--with 5 question quiz, a 5-10 minute reading book with
quiz, and a longer reading/workbook. However, there could be 5 or 6
different reading levels in the same classroom (I was at the leading edge of
the baby-boom and we had 50 students in a classroom) so different level
books.

In HS, there was the PSAT, an IQ test, then the SAT, ACT, and the content
area SATs. This was all in the 50s and early 60s. It was also common to
have three different tracks in the schools. Even my 'prestigious', Jesuit
run, college-prep HS had 3 different tracks.

Rick