Re: [Phys-l] inertial +- gravitational mass

At 13:06 -0500 11/20/06, John Denker wrote:

2) The question arises whether the inertial/gravitational distinction
should be emphasized in intro physics courses.

I say no. There isn't enough time in the day for everybody to question
everything. IMHO it would make /more/ sense to do away with [2] and [3]
than to do away with [1] in an introductory class. That is, it would
make more sense to do away with F=ma and use fully-relativistic dynamics,
and do away with F=GmM/r^2 and use general relativity instead ... while
leaving questions about the equivalence principle for another day.

I think I have to disagree here. I do agree that we cannot question everything, but we do owe it to the students to understand that there *are* deep philosophical questions even in something so elementary as the meaning of g, and although they may not be able to fathom the answers to these questions, such as they may be, but at least they can, even in their state of relative ignorance, appreciate what they are, and more important, that they exist, and that physics, even at the introductory level, is not a closed subject.

I don't spend a whole lot of time on this particular issue in class--perhaps half a period--but it does open the door to raising other issues, and in this particular case, it allows the introduction of a new idea--the formal definition of a field--in a relatively non-threatening context, so that when it comes up again in electricity, the idea is not so novel that they are uncomfortable with it, and they are at least a little prepared for the additional complexity introduced by the fact that electrical mass is not the same as inertial mass.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

When you are arguing with a stupid person, it is a good idea to make sure that
person isn't doing the same thing.
Anonymous