Re: [Phys-l] g...

At 14:05 -0600 11/18/06, Cliff Parker wrote:

I have a problem with g. Despite my best efforts many of my students still want to say that g is a force. I can see where the whole thing would be confusing for them. Our first experience with g is to call it the acceleration of gravity on Earth. I stress over and over that it is not "gravity", it is not "the force of gravity", it is the acceleration that objects undergo as they fall to the Earth. However, bout the time I think that I have that idea pumped into their heads we start using g to find weights w=mg. Now the object is not accelerating at all so what's g? I usually only address the idea that g is now being used as a constant that represents the strength of the gravitational field if one of my students brings it up, and that's not very often. Maybe that's a mistake. Now g is appearing once again in Newton's Universal Law of Gravity this time twice... Fg = G m1 m2 / d^2 I asked my students to describe what g was on a quiz yesterday and got back answers that
were all over the map. Any advice?

Cliff, you have caught exactly what I have felt for years is the problem of how we present g as a concept. If we forget the idea of g as an acceleration, and treat it as the gravitational field strength, which, because of the equivalence (apparent, but subject to experimental verification) of gravitational and inertial mass, happens to have the units of acceleration, and also happens to represent the acceleration of a freely falling object when not subject to any retarding forces, then we might be able to start making progress on what g means.

Too many texts present it as some sort of constant of nature, which, of course, it is not. And if we think of it as the gravitational field strength, then when we multiply it by the gravitational mass, we get a force, which some (but not me) call "weight" (I choose to call it "the force of gravity").

The parallel with electric force is then quite straightforward. If the force of gravity is the gravitational mass times the gravitational field strength, then the electric force is the electrical "mass" (AKA "charge") times the electric field strength.

Now, if either of these forces is a net force on a given object, and we divide that net force by the intertial mass, we get the acceleration of the object.

In the gravitational case, because of the equivalence of inertial and gravitational mass, the acceleration happens to be numerically equal to g, although it is a long way from being conceptually equal to g. On the other hand, there is no such conceptual disconnect in the electrical case, since everyone knows that electrical mass and inertial mass are not equivalent, and so the acceleration of an object under the net force of electricity in not equal to the electrical field.

So, as I see it, the issue is the historical precedent of calling g the acceleration of (or due to) gravity, which dates from an era when none of these niceties were thought of (although there is evidence that Newton had some concerns along these lines, but apparently no one else picked up on them for a long time).

So, I think that we would be better off all 'round if we dropped two phrases from our vocabularies: "acceleration due to gravity" (call it gravitational field strength), and "weight" (call it the force of gravity). Those two phrases seem to me to be the source of much of the confusion that students have (and I know I certainly had that confusion for a longer time than I like to admit).

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

When you are arguing with a stupid person, it is a good idea to make sure that
person isn't doing the same thing.
Anonymous