Re: [Phys-l] g...

At 11:09 -0500 11/19/06, John Denker wrote:

I need the next level of detail here. Taken separately, several
steps in that argument make sense. Taken collectively, they don't
add up; they don't suffice to support the conclusion.

OK. I'm leaving out too many steps here. The reason I assert that g should not be considered an acceleration is because we can consider the general case of a field acting on an object through some mechanism, call is the "field-susceptible property." In the case of gravity, that is gravitational mass. In the case of electricity that is charge (for the moment, call that "electrical mass" merely to illustrate the analogy). In the general case the force on an object subject to that particular field is

Force = (Field susceptible property) x (Field strength)

Based on this, we can define the field strength in terms of its action on a susceptible object as

Field Strength = Force/(Field Susceptible Property)

with units corresponding to the units on the right hand side above as Newtons/(amount of Field Susceptible Property present).

According to N-2, the acceleration of said object if the field under discussion is the only one present is

acceleration = Force/(Inertial Mass)

and the units for this acceleration are the traditional m/s^2.

We can calculate the acceleration for objects in an generic field as

acceleration = (Field Susceptible Property) x (Field strength)/(Inertial Mass).

In a gravitational field this works out to

(gravitational acceleration) = (gravitational mass) x (grav. field strength)/(inertial mass)

and in an electric field it is

(electrical acceleration) = (electrical mass [AKA charge]) x (elect. field strength)/(inertial mass).

Now we can go to the laboratory and very carefully measure the acceleration of many different objects in a gravitational field (I will leave the details of constructing experiments that measure only the effects of the gravitational field on the objects to the reader). And we find that in every case the acceleration for the same field strength is the same, depending only on the strength of the field.

A reasonable conclusion here is that there is no distinction, at least in this set of experiments, between the gravitational mass and the inertial mass. So we drop the distinction, cancel the masses from the acceleration equation, and find that the acceleration is numerically equal to the strength of the gravitational field, as we have defined that quantity.

Of course a similar set of experiments in electric fields will give dramatically different results, showing that what we have been calling electrical mass is not equivalent to inertial mass, so we cannot cancel those two objects out of our acceleration equation. So we rename the electrical mass something else, say, "charge," give it some appropriate units, say, Coulombs, and then not that the acceleration in an electric field is the product of the field strength and the charge to mass ratio.

I use the electric field to illustrate that the formalism of finding accelerations in both is identical, but there is an important difference. I could have called gravitational mass gravitational charge to illustrate the similarity of the formalism and then I would have found that gravitational charge is indistinguishable from inertial mass, and proceeded as above.

I guess I need to concede that I didn't prove that the gravitational field strength is not an acceleration--I wasn't trying to do that. The point I was trying to make was that calling it an acceleration is not a useful way to introduce the subject, even though it is possible, because of the principle of equivalence, to reduce the generic expression for gravitational acceleration to

(gravitational acceleration) = (gravitational field strength).

The reason I don't think this is a good idea is that the gravitational field strength is very often used in connection with processes that have nothing to do with acceleration, such as what is commonly called weight (even though I also think weight is not a useful term, but that is a different argument for another day). It is this fact that causes students to become confused to the point that every year I have one or two who become convinced that all accelerations are equal to g. So I agree with those who insist on giving the units of g as N/kg, and would go even further to argue that subscripts for acceleration need not be used. Acceleration is acceleration, whether it comes from gravity or electricity or whatever. Students need to learn than gravity has this convenient property that enables many calculations to be made more simply that parallel ones in electricity because, in the case of gravity the "charge to mass" ratio is always simply 1. But aside from that simplification the process is the same for electricity as it is for gravity.

Now I have no idea why gravity has this unique property. I don't think it is required by any principle of physics that I know of, and it seems to me that making the case that the formalism for calculating forces due to generic fields is the same for all fields (neglecting things like vector products and tensor forces and the like that come up later), and one shouldn't become complacent because gravity *seems* different from the others. It isn't. It just has a principle of equivalence that the others don't.

It would not surprise me if it turned out that the principle of equivalence is somehow related to the fact that we have not yet figured out how to incorporate gravity into quantum mechanics.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

When you are arguing with a stupid person, it is a good idea to make sure that
person isn't doing the same thing.
Anonymous