Re: [Phys-l] physics for teachers of 8th and 9th graders

I really like the curriculum developed by AAPT, Powerful
Ideas in Physical Science. It's approach where the learners
make predictions and then test them to create mental models
seems very strong. I have had some success using this
approach to teach high school students, and it has also
worked well with teaching my colleagues over the years how
are not physics majors but need to teach physics.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover

--- Patricia Sievert <sievert@physics.niu.edu> wrote:

Does anyone have experience with teaching physics to
in-service teachers
(certified in elementary education or biology for the
most part)? I'm
involved with helping a large urban school district
implement "Physics
First" and we are looking for materials to teach a course
next summer.
Many of the teachers need more confidence with the
concepts as well as
developing confidence in an inquiry approach to teaching.
They are
using CPO's /Physics, A First Course/, in the classroom,
at least, that
was the intention. I'm not sure all of them have started
doing the
activities yet. [FYI: they have split the curriculum
into 2 parts,
teaching half of it at the eighth grade and half at the
ninth grade.]

McDermott's /Physics by Inquiry/ seems to fit the
situation, but I'd
like to hear from someone with experience, either with
this material or
something else. I'd like to fit the course into a 4 week
summer
session, M,T,W,TH, both mornings and afternoons to get
the maximum lab
time in. Any comments?

Thanks for your input.
Pati
--

/Pati Sievert/

/Outreach Coordinator, NICADD and Department of Physics/

/Northern //Illinois// //University///

/DeKalb//, //IL// //60115///

/sievert@physics.niu.edu
<mailto:sievert@physics.niu.edu>/