Re: [Phys-l] Basic statistics

For a misconception, see below:

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

But what
is the general precondition of randomness of of x(i) in a our
laboratory samples? I do not remember how to answer this quesion.
I've seen papers saying that there are no tests for randomness, only for non-randomness. As far as I know, that is the situation.

. Yes,
I know that a distribution of <x> approaches a Gaussian shape, even
when distributions of x(i), in each sample, are not Gaussian, when the
number of samples approaches infinity.
This is a misconception. There are many distributions that become Gaussian in the large N limit, but not all. The chi-squared distribution is an example of one that does not.
Regards,
Jack