[Phys-l] physics for teachers of 8th and 9th graders

Does anyone have experience with teaching physics to in-service teachers (certified in elementary education or biology for the most part)? I'm involved with helping a large urban school district implement "Physics First" and we are looking for materials to teach a course next summer. Many of the teachers need more confidence with the concepts as well as developing confidence in an inquiry approach to teaching. They are using CPO's /Physics, A First Course/, in the classroom, at least, that was the intention. I'm not sure all of them have started doing the activities yet. [FYI: they have split the curriculum into 2 parts, teaching half of it at the eighth grade and half at the ninth grade.]

McDermott's /Physics by Inquiry/ seems to fit the situation, but I'd like to hear from someone with experience, either with this material or something else. I'd like to fit the course into a 4 week summer session, M,T,W,TH, both mornings and afternoons to get the maximum lab time in. Any comments?

Thanks for your input.
Pati
--

/Pati Sievert/

/Outreach Coordinator, NICADD and Department of Physics/

/Northern //Illinois// //University///

/DeKalb//, //IL// //60115///

/sievert@physics.niu.edu <mailto:sievert@physics.niu.edu>/

/(815) 753-6418/