Re: [Phys-l] Collision of irregular bodies

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Denker" <jsd@av8n.com>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Collision of irregular bodies

R. McDermott wrote:
Regardless of what it "sounds like" to you, John, have you anything to add
that might clarify how it might be otherwise, or is a flip response to be
the sum total of your contribution? You posted that this did not have to be
so. I don't see how that could happen and asked you , nicely, for
clarification.

As I previously stated, the OP specified "smooth", but that is not
necessarily the same as frictionless. If you want to leap from
smooth to frictionless, that's up to you.

Understood, however not all of us here teach at the college level, and at the secondary level in most cases "smooth" implies "frictionless". I can see that this might be something with which you may be unaware, but that is the reason for my assumption.

If you think there is a trivial solution, fine ... but don't have a snit
fit if somebody points out that your solution is trivial. I usually assume
that when people ask a question, they have some nontrivial reason for
asking.

John, I appreciate that your knowledge is more extensive than my own, and I mean that sincerely. Your explanations in some cases go WAY beyond my experience in physics. Despite that, I have a degree in physics and another in chemistry, so I am not dumb. I don't mind being shown to be wrong, and I don't resent the fact that others (many) are more knowledgeable than I. What I DO resent is condescention, insulting remarks, and flip answers. Of all the people with whom I've conversed on this list, you are the only one who consistently annoys me with your responses. I think that says a good deal more about you than me. Look at the other - helpful - responses I've gotten and then read your own. Do you see a difference in the tone? Well I do, and it does you no credit that a man with your obvious intelligence and training, cannot respond to questions without being abrasive.

Yes, I am asking about a trivial case, because I do not want to teach my students something that is fundamentally wrong. My students are made aware that many of the problems we do are considerably simplified to make them accessible to them using the rudimentary tools they have at their disposal. Complexities, while they may be interesting to me, and may be alluded to in my class, are impractical to actually wrestle with at that level. I've been teaching high school for almost thirty years now, and, for better or worse, I'm locked into a certain mindset as a default.

For that matter, "smooth" is not necessarily the same as rigid. So
it requires another leap to arrive at the assumption that there is
a _single_ point of contact.

We don't even know whether it is an elastic collision or not.

As I previously stated, I'm not sure the question, as stated, makes sense.
So far, all we have is a word game disconnected from physical reality.

Absolutely legitimate concerns. Yes, I guess my tendency, given the level of students I teach, is to look only at trivial cases, and that is clearly something I have to remember when conversing here. Ok, so my question boils down to the following: IF the surfaces are frictionless, and there is a single point of contact, at any instant in time can the forces acting be other than normal to the surfaces (as per another response, deformation would likely result in the direction changing over time, but what about at any given instant)? If so, how can that happen?

I assume there is an underlying real physical situation and a nontrivial
reason for asking the question. Until we find out what that is, I have
no idea how to answer the question.

Ok, I can see that expectation from your perspective. If the poster is a secondary school teacher, as I am, his (or her, I can't remember) perspective is probably the same as my own. You and I clearly bring different perspectives to the problems we read.
Again, MY first concern relates to the teaching of the fundamentals to high school students who mostly have NO calculus or previous physics backgrounds. Secondarily, I have a personal interest in understanding, at a deeper level, those things that are impractical to teach in my classes. Sometimes, the latter impinges on the former, and I want to be sure I'm not setting my students up for problems down the line.