Re: [Phys-l] Global Warming

A few of my current thoughts on global warming:

1. The current warming trend of ~ 0.5 degrees C per ~ 30 years, IF it were to continue for just another 150 years, would lead to global temperatures as high or higher than they have been at almost any time during the last 400,000 years (~3 degrees C above "average"). Of course it is debatable whether or not the current trend will continue since there was a modest cooling trend of ~ 0.1 degrees C per ~30 years in the period from 1940 to 1970. On the other hand there are perfectly credible reasons to believe that the current trend could accelerate.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Image:Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png>

and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ice_Age_Temperature.png>

2. We know that CO2 has historically been very closely correlated with global temperatures and we also know that the current level of CO2 in the atmosphere is about 30% higher than it has previously been at any time during the last 400,000 years and that that is a result of human activity. Of course, it is debatable whether CO2 causes global warming and, even if it does, it is further debatable whether the markedly higher CO2 levels that we have will cause even noticeably increased temperatures. But, again, there are perfectly credible reasons to think both things.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Carbon_Dioxide_400kyr-2.png>

3. We know that sea levels change enormously--e.g. by more than one hundred meters during just the last 20,000 years so that a change of 10 meters hardly seems out of the question.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png>

4. The good news may be that there simply isn't that much ice left to melt on the scale of the amount that builds up during a glacial period.

See again <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ice_Age_Temperature.png>

5. The overriding bad news for humanity may be that all the records point to the last 10,000 years as a highly unusual island of stability in almost every aspect. Thus, it seems likely to me that, even if we ONLY have to cope with natural variability, we have some VERY challenging times ahead on the scale, probably, of thousands of years.

(See all of the above.)

So, I understand that there are economic considerations involved in deciding what constitutes prudent safeguards to undertake. Nevertheless, it seems to me that the evidence is compelling enough and the potential downside devastating enough that one might expect the leader of the richest country on Earth AT LEAST to be using his bully pulpit to insure against recurrences of headlines like this

<http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/06/hummer_sales.html>

John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>