Re: [Phys-l] F causes a

It becomes clear that there are those on this list who have far to much time on their hands

There have been well over 100 posts re this over all thread since its beginning and yet no resolution is in sight -- and still the original question has not been addressed.

There currently are two issues:

Does an equation per se, viz F=ma, predict cause and effect? Clearly NO.

Does the situation to which the equation is applied predict cause and effect? Clearly YES.

I repeat:

If I am faced with a block and I push really hard and the block
moves, don't I say that _I_, my push, moved the block? Now, if I
wanted to do some figuring, I might remember F=ma and calculate what
I was deeply concerned about. But during the figuring I would think
force caused the acceleration. If some body came along and said no
no no the acceleration caused the force, I would think that they were nuts.

Jim

J M Green

MailTo:JMGreen@sisna.com

WWW: http://users.sisna.com/JMGreen