Re: [Phys-l] F causes a

[Original Message]
From: Hugh Haskell <hhaskell@mindspring.com>

I don't know the answer to this question, but I am willing to
entertain the possibility of changing the notation for NSL to make a
causal connection explicit. I don't know if that would solve the
issue or not, but it would satisfy our very human desire to see
causal connections in nature. If it happens that there is no
experiment that could establish the truth of a causal connection one
way or the other, then I see no harm in making an arbitrary choice,
as long as we are explicit about the fact.

Hugh
--
I don't have an experiment, and being 40 years away from Jackson's E&M
certainly doesn't help my thinking, but I seem to recall some time

On a more practical level, I'm with Jim Green. I think most people,
certainly most students and probably most of us, would think about the 2nd
law in operational terms. If I want an acceleration--I know I need to
produce a force. If I want a force, I don't think about producing an
acceleration. That may not be formally or mathematically true cause and
effect, but as a practical matter it is.

JD doesn't see how 'compelled' or 'forced' can be interpreted as 'causing'.
I don't really see how to NOT interpret those words as causation. Again,
that doesn't mean Newton is right if he meant 'causes', but from either
translation, that is what I would infer he meant.

Rick