Re: [Phys-l] spelling

Thanks to both John D and Jack U. I encountered both. However, I already consulted the dictionary to see if it was common cross-useage of the spelling, before I wasted your time. What I wanted to know was if anyone recalled any unofficial misuse in another text, perhaps in common useage elsewhere.

The (John D) scalers I recalled were Picker Nuclear Scalers that were used in my undergraduate lab in nuclear physics. The desk Webster dictionary, which I consulted, also used scaler in sense similar to the use of ruler.

However, I was specifically interested in the math/physics application in applying vectors.

Finally, I did the obvious and Googled. There is a somwhat convoluted math application of scaler vs scalar used in describing computer core memory levels. Alas, that was not what I sought, either.

Thanks, I presume that the crossover spelling is not allowed, and is a difficulty in reading issue...(my own) :>) Karl