[Phys-l] spelling

Lately, I've gotten careless with spelling of the word scalar. Is my memory off, or did we used to use both scalar and scaler in physics texts/courses? I checked that the root is the same, but don't know why I think both are OK for referring to vector dot products, etc. Any recollections/sources? Any that state the obvious as being correct, and why? Thanks, Karl