[Phys-l] Blackhole Orbit

When discussing the misconception that black holes 'suck everything in' , a neat question came up: Would it be possible to orbit a black hole inside the Schwarzschild radius? Would you still be weightless?

My _guess_ is that that answer is yes you can orbit, but tidal differences would produce strain.
(smart mouth answer: no one will ever know.)

Cannot find anything on the web. Some cryptic references to orbits not being stable closer than a certain radius.

Opinions? I did tell the student that I would ask the more enlightened.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy