[Phys-L] Re: [SPAM-4.000] ultrametricity +- evolution

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, James E Mackey wrote:

John Denker wrote
clip*********************:

As various people have mentioned, there is overwhelming evidence of this,
including macroscopic evidence as well as DNA evidence.

The DNA evidence leads to, among other things, nice diagrams of the "tree
of life" ... such as
http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Terrestrial_Vertebrates
http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Eutheria

The point I would like to make is that the very existence of such diagrams
is evidence for evolution. That is, the fact that it is possible to make
such diagrams is consistent with the idea of molecular evolution, and would
be a spectacularly implausible coincidence in the absence of evolution.
clip *********************************

Such diagrams are constructed assuming evolution occurs, so how
their existence be considered proof for evolution? Is there some
circular reasoning here?
James Mackey

James:
What part of "the fact that it is possible to make
such diagrams is consistent with the idea of molecular evolution", don't
you understand? Is there somewhere in John's posting that you see the
word "proof"?
It is always possible, as every lawyer knows, to make an argument
on any side of any issue. Whether the argument is made in good faith is
quite another question. You are the one who wanted to distinguish
yourself from the class of Christians that I described in my e-mail to
you. I am waiting for you to demonstrate that you are willing to
participate in a good faith dialogue - where you listen to, and consider,
what is actually said to you, rather than address the preconceptions in
your own mind. This is a list that is dedicated to issues of science, and
meaningful dialogue is an essential part of the process of science.
Regards,
Jack