[Phys-L] Re: infinite sig. figs.

That's fine in the classroom and for working problems, but what about the
laboratory. To be sure, if you are going to be training scientists and
engineers, then at some point you need to get sophisticated about
uncertainties and error analysis (random versus systematic errors for
example). However, the first time in the lab (say HS or Gen-Ed college), I
would argue that what you want to stress is that each measurement is done
with an instrument that has a finite precision but that should always be
read to that precision. Then, armed with measurements that are limited in
their accuracy/precision, if you are to produced derived quantities with
those measurements, the calculator or computer (or your paper math) can
produce numerical values that must be adjusted (usually truncated) to
reflect the confidence one has in the accuracy of the derived quantity--(are
all those digits SIGNIFICANT?) Our first lab of the semester is an example
of this where we try and determine what a number of objects are made from by
using the physical property of density and our direct measurements of mass
and the dimensions of the objects.

I hate to be a broken record here, but some of the students at this level
have a lot of trouble going from millimeters to centimeters and virtually
none can go directly from cubic centimeters to cubic millimeters. Providing
a simple set of rules (significant figures) AND then assessing that the
students understand the reason for the use of these rules, can work to get
the main points through. I'm not sure if JD's approach would work as well
here. For those who despise and have tanked sig figs, are you successful
with HS and non-science students in getting across these ideas without
'strict' rules?

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
Animations for Lectures
Photo-realistic Lab simulations
Energy management simulations
Energy 2100--class project