[Phys-L] Re: infinite sig. figs.

Hi all-
Time sez, re J.D.'s posting:
I don't see the rationale that every report must be as precise as hum=
anly possible or it is useless, which seems to be what you are saying=

I don't think that's what John is saying.
J.D. can, and no doubt will, speak for himself, but here is a
rationale for limiting precision:

I am ordering a rectangular aluminum
plate, 2 cm x2 cm. My supplier charges according to the tolerance you
allow in your order. If you specify 2x2 the tolerance is 10% and the
charge is B dollars (base price). If you specify 2.1x2.1, the tolerance
is +-.05, cm and the price is 2B. If you specify 2.10x2.10, then the
tolerance is +-.005 cm, and the price is 20 B, and so on.

Would you send in an order with a lot of "guard" digits?

Regards,
Jack