[Phys-L] Quarters vs Semesters

Gang,
=20
Mike gave a cynical opinion of the change from semesters to quarters.
Quarter system schools are becoming a dying breed, which I consider a
shame. He forgot the cost savings in administering only 2 registrati=
ons
a year rather than 3 (not counting summer sessions).
=20
I've been a student in both systems and have taught full courses in
semester system institutions. While I understand its only an opinion,=
do have a clear favorite (the quarter system).
=20
I find it better to take fewer courses at any one time, even if the
material is more concentrated. It seems that in semesters one is
juggling too many apples, while admittedly in the quarter system the
apples are bigger, the fewer number seems to make an important
qualitative difference. (IMHO)
=20
More objectively as a physics prof, it hasn't helped the introductory
year in physics.
=20
When I was an undergraduate the required introductory year of physics
was 3-quarters at 40 lectures per quarter =3D 120 lectures of introdu=
ctory
physics.
=20
Where I teach, a semester system school. The required introductory y=
ear
of physics is 2 semesters at 41 or 42 lectures a semester =3D 82-84
lectures. Incidentally the topics covered, as described by the catal=
og
(not by reality) were/are not hugely different (perhaps 10 lectures
worth of modern physics in my quarter system school; which is left fo=
another course in my current institution).
=20
Obviously something has to give.
=20

Joel Rauber=20