[Phys-L] Re: Liberal Arts colleges / student mathematical capability

| In my memory the few times the sciences tried to up this
| credit limit on majors the humanities howled greatly about
| turning a "liberal arts" college into a "trade school" so the
| idea has never gone anywhere.
|
| Mike Monce
| Connecticut College

Some off the cuff rambling (or mumbling)

Its actually all a bit perplexing, e.g. why weren't the humanities
faculty complaining at my institution? (Space-time coordinates =
Atlanta, 1978 AD)

One difference is possibly that there has been a change in core
requirements? I can't say for sure as our core requirements where I
teach now are definitely more extensive then where I went to school.
(and a Rube Goldberg sort of contraption to try to understand what is
needed to graduate). And we're a land grant institution (not liberal
arts, though I'm not sure what if anything that should have to do with
degree requirements in Physics or History say.

Another is maybe the difference between state and private liberal arts
institutions. My school was a private institution and the departments
were more autonomous. There were no state BOR mandating that degrees
can only be 120 hours, (or similar such decrees).

Of course, we had pass/fail course options for dabbling "out-of-field"
without harming the GPA. GPA pressure was rather intense at the school,
due to the preponderance of "pre-meds", but that didn't affect what
departments required in their majors.

<time to stop>

Joel R.