[Phys-L] Re: Liberal Arts colleges / student mathematical capability

Whatever happened to the 18 hours/semester. I had to do that and if I
wanted to get a minor I needed to do even more. Some did it.
Admittedly this was an engineering program, but it was my impression
that the liberal arts majors at Cornell also had to have much more
than 12 hours/semester to graduate in 4 years, and practically
everyone graduated in 4 years.

U. Oregon only recommends 12 hours in the first semester and my
daughter had to go to summer school to hope to graduate after 4 years.
She will with a chem. major, much to my relief.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

It is quite possible to get a good undergraduate
preparation for Grad school at a small college,
but I think either the student has to take command
of the situation, or the institution has decided
that excellence is more important than graduation
in four year with 12 or 14 credits per semester
loads.