From: Forum for Physics Educators on behalf of G.D. Williams
Sent: Sat 7/9/2005 4:42 AM
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU
Subject: Re: Sizes of atoms (was evidence for non-classical behavior)

This used to be a fairly standard experiment in the UK for 11-14 year olds,
doesn't seem that popular these days. There are detailed instructions at:

http://www.stkate.edu/physics/phys100/MoleculeSize.html

I found that the trays used need to be as clean as possible and I prefer to
use chalk dust or talc as I have a suspicion that it was inhaling lycopodium
spores that triggered my asthma.

Even if you don't try and convince pupils about the lining up of the
molecules and the monolayer business it still gives a nice upper limit. I
don't know the origin of the experiment but I note that in "Physics for the
Enquiring Mind" by Eric Rogers it says late 19th century and I also recall
reading something about Benjamin Franklin realising that oil on water would
make a very thin layer but not realising the next step, not surprising
really when the nature of the atom was still unknown.

Cheers

Gary

G. D. Williams,
Editor, Physics Education
National Coordinator, IoP Teacher Network
gary.williams@iop.org
gdwilliams100@hotmail.com