[Phys-L] Re: Sizes of atoms (was evidence for non-classical behavior)

I think the link given by Gary provides with the most straightforward=
and convincing demonstration for the classroom (at least for estimat=
ion the length of a chain molecule.) Can the same method be used for =
estimation of the atomic size or at least that of a diatomic molecule=
? I think yes, even though the corresponding experiment would become =
more sophisticated.
There are more possibilities, probably also known before Einstein's=
work on Brownian motion and fluctuations.
For instance, in the Van-der-Vaals equation of state
=20
(P + a/V^2)(V-b) =3D RT

the constant a describes the Van der Vaals long-range attraction forc=
e, and b is just the combined volume of all the atoms in a given mole=
of gas. Is it possible that for some gases a few isotherms P(V) can =
be obtained experimentally for a few different respective T not very =
far above the critical point by the students in a school Lab? If so, =
then it would be very instructive for the students to find a and b fi=
tting the experimental curves the best, and then from b and Avogadro'=
s number estimate the size of the gas molecule. Also, this size can b=
e estimated from=20

(sigma) x n x l =3D 1

where sigma is cross-sectional area of a molecule or atom, n is conce=
ntration, and l is the average free path. The latter can be found, e.=
g. from the gas viscosity. But all this requires that the students mu=
st already have sufficient preliminary knowledge of gas theory, and o=
f course, is much less straightforward.

Moses Fayngold
NJIT=20
=20