[Phys-L] Re: god friendly science

John states:
"I had a student who asked how we know that the stars and galaxies are real
and not just painted on the sky. He had read books that discussed them, but
never brought out the idea that you can actually measure the distances by
various clever schemes. So much of our scientific literature never brings
out the evidence, and concentrates on the results that students just
memorize the magic ideas. No wonder people do not believe many ideas in
science."

Great point! Kids are trained all too often for "just the facts, Ma'am".
Facts are good things if your last name is Jennings and you happen to be on
Jeopardy. For the rest of us, it's much more important and meaningful to
understand *why* we think we 'know' something. I also agree that if more of
us understood the Why's and How's, this religious argument wouldn't be an
argument at all.

Semi-Humorous aside : I had the privilege of teaching a 9th grade PhySci
class once. (Operative word here is ONCE.) We were discussing the scale of
the solar system and one kid, let's call him BoBo, asked a fabulous
question, "HOW do we know how far the sun is if we've never been there?"
Well, I jumped all over that. Went into a quick Physics-Teacher dissertation
of Kepler's Laws, Newton's Law of Univ Grav, angular displacement of the sun
vs moon, . . . On and on. After a mind-boggling 10 or so minutes, the same
kid said, "I don't get it. How do we know all that?" This procedure
duplicated itself 2 or 3 more times. I finally, in frustration and just
before the bell rang for end of class, decided to 'lie' and relayed the
story of how "a few hundred years ago, NASA shot a rocket to the sun.
Attached to it was a long string on a spool. When the rocket hit the sun,
NASA pulled in the string and measured it." The kid was too quick for this,
however. He shot back, "But wouldn't the string burn up?" To which, as the
bell rang, I replied, "Nope, they did it at night". He said, "Oh. Thanks."
(Don't jump down my throat for lying to a kid. Do it all the time. Leads
into some of the best student-teacher dialogue you could imagine. We did
eventually attack the 'true' answers to that kids questions...)

Daryl L. Taylor, Fizzix Guy
Greenwich HS, CT
PAEMST '96
International Internet Educator of the Year '03
NASA SEU Educator Ambassador
www.DarylScience.com

This email prepared and transmitted using 100% recycled electrons!