[Phys-L] Re: god friendly science

I have found this thread very interesting!

In my astronomy class, we discuss the shape/size of the Earth. I bring up
the Flat Earth Society group in California. This leads to a discussion of
how do we know the Earth is not flat. I tell my students that, even though
you exist, you can't really prove you were born. Because you were not
there to observe it (your brain cells were not developed enough to have
memories; that happens around 18 months or so). Even if someone videotaped
your birth, you did not personally see it. Anything you do not observe
directly (e.g., WWI, moon landing, etc.) you believe on "faith."

I always like the quote by Carl Sagan, in reference to UFO's:
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."