[Phys-L] Re: positive feedback loops (was global warming)

+ feedback w/ "consumer" epoxy? I don't think so. When I find it
setting and I'm not finished, I heat it (toaster oven) to keep it fluid.

True, when it has cooled it SEEMS to be "more set" than if I'd not
heated it.

bc

p.s. one obvious + climate feed back is the decrease in albedo when ice
covered land melts. Water in the atmosphere is complicated. As a
vapour it's greenhouse; as liquid it's increased albedo. [A very
amateur climatologist writing.]

John Barrer wrote:

As one who has witnessed firsthand a rather striking
thermal positive feedback loop (by accidentally adding
way too much hardener to epoxy resin), I wonder
whether any of the models which relate atmospheric
temperature increase to human activity postulate this
sort of behavior. If there is a strong possibility
that such a feedback situation could/does exist, then
it seems very dangerous indeed to wait for solid
proof. Once the temperature of the resin mix starts
its rapid rise, smoke very quickly follows.

OTOH, if most atmospheric scientists & climatologists
believe that the feedback loop(s) are or will be
negative (or neutral) in nature, then we can well
afford to wait.

John Barrere University HS Fresno, CA