Re: Basic Choices and Constraints on Long-Term Energy Supplies

One of my artist Santa Barbara friends lived for more than ten years
partially independently on one of the hills overlooking Montecito on E.
Mountain Drive. He used two large panels and well water. The output of
his inverter was square. I made an LC filter so he could use his
carousel slide projector. Initially, he had low voltage and
inefficiency because he put the inverter at his house, which he designed
and friends built, instead of where the battery and panels were, up the
hill. His only energy dependency was his GMC pick up and propane for
cooking. His house was in the side of a hill so it was cool in the
Summer and comfortable in Winter. He thought he had a good std. of
living as the views of the Ocean and SB below and the hills around were
much more important than having an excess of energy. Another friend in
Santa Cruz county has cable (DSL), PG&E electricity, bottled gas, and
his well. However, his e-bill is low because of a rather large and
elaborate solar system. All this would be very expensive except both
have done most of it themselves (constructing the sewage systems,
houses, roof solar water panels, etc.)

I've read most of the houses in Riverside (Southern Calif. desert) and
environs had (early 20th Cent.) solar water heaters, because they had no
gas. As soon as gas came they disappeared.

I cut our e-bill in half by switching to CFL's (compact fluorescent
lamps).

Despite what we can do to reduce demand, I think a tax policy is in
order, i.e. two kids per couple free, additional progressively taxed.
Childless get a tax credit.

Another matter is immigration. It accelerates demand over what the
immigrant would consume in their under developed country.

Counterproductively, Nader thinks the US should stop importing brains
(Drs., scientist, engineers, etc.); they belong in their own country
developing it. He pointed out that the vast majority of technical
papers written by Arabs did not live in Arabia, but the US and Europe.

Is the major energy demand from manufacturing?

bc

p.s.

"They should be investing heavily in fusion research
(hot or cold). ;-)"

They are, relatively.