Population Control (was: Basic Choices and Constraints ...)

At 07:58 PM 7/29/2004, you wrote:
> Have we given up on population control entirely?

Prof. Shapiro, what kind of control methods are you referring to?

Rick Strickert
Austin, TX

I suppose someone reading this list for the first time, might imagine
that a participant could advocate Chinese style methods, leading as
they do to the slaughter of innocent female babies and other
atrocities.

I confidently expect most long time participants to realise that the
US in particular, has at hand, the World's most powerful methods of
social engineering - moreover methods of such attraction that people
round the world are willing to spend appreciable parts of their income
in order to be exposed to such conditioning.

I refer to the media in general, and the movies in particular.
You may have noticed, that responding to the appalling US marriage
statistics (average marriage term: 3 to 5 years?)there is now a modest
initiative in favor of enduring bonds ( a Rabbi mentioned
'The Notebook' to me recently).

This medium provides the fastest method for moulding public opinion,
no doubt: a modest investment (in terms of national strategy) can
provide measurable control of birth statistics here, within a year - I
am quite confident.
On the reverse, one sees tax advantages being put in the way of couples
who opt for more children - was it Singapore, that land of the potent
chewing gum, that instituted such an inducement recently?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!