Re: Pauli Exclusion

David Bowman wrote:
The most general formulation is the requirement (based on the Spin-
Statistics Theorem's need for consistency) that fermion fields be
quantized using anticommutator bracket relations rather than using
commutator bracket relations as is done for boson fields. The
antisymmetry of fermion states under particle exchange comes from the
anticommutivity of the single fermion creation and destruction
operators referring to different fermion modes.

That's right.

As far as I can tell that's exactly right, and anything else
I can think of would be a step backward in generality and/or
reliability.

However, that version probably wouldn't be particularly
helpful to an intro-level student, which is where this
discussion began.

There are more-accessible ways of approaching the topic,
with considerable loss of generality but not too much loss
in reliability. My favorite is Feynman volume III section
3-4 and continuing into chapter 4.

Also, for those who may be interested, I wrote up some notes
on the topic:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/exchange.htm

Executive summary:
*) Tricky distinction: particles that are intrinsically
identical may oftentimes be distinguishable nevertheless.

*) Exchange is a physical (not mathematical) process. It
might occur to greater or lesser degree.

*) There's no point in changing the sign of the overall
wavefunction.

*) There's no point in merely shuffling dummy indices.

** et cetera.