Re: Teaching science on the edge of knowledge

At 10:40 AM -0400 7/20/04, Pamela L. Gay wrote:

*If these topics aren't discussed in your class, is there any reason for
text books to come out with new versions every other year?

It seems to me that there are three reasons to issue new editions of
elementary-level texts:

1) pedagogical (or technological) developments that mandate that the
text presentation be changed;

2) the discovery of an egregious error that requires substantial
revision to correct; and

3) the need for a glitzy new book to (a) gut the used textbook market
(my shelves are cluttered with earlier editions of textbooks that I
cannot even give away), and (b) keep up with the competition.

I suspect that reason #3 is by far the most common one used to
justify a new edition.

New, and especially controversial or speculative, developments almost
never need to be discussed in a text. If it is appropriate, the
instructors can bring them up in class (this assumes that the
instructors are keeping up with the subjects they are teaching).

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams