Re: Parallel Universe

On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:36:41 -0400 Fran Poodry <FPoodry@AOL.COM> writes:
Hello,
I hope someone can help me. A student sent me this web site
<http://www.allsci.com/parallel.html>
and suggested that we do the activity in class (it is very simple
and involves poking holes in a card and shining a laser beam at the
holes, then observing the interference pattern). However, the web
site claims that the
observed pattern is evidence for parallel universes. I would like to
be able
to explain convincingly to my students that it is no such thing.

----------- ------------------- -----------------------
--------------------- ------------------------------------

It is not necessary to use all of those cards with punched holes.
Just pass the beam of a laser through a narrow slit and observe
the diffraction parttern that is produced. Each of the orders in
the diffraction pattern consists of identical waveforms

Repeating the process with the matter-wave-form of a "solid" object
such as an electron, or even a whole person, will produce a diffraction
pattern with several orders of constructive interference maxima.
Each of these patterns will have the same characteristics of the
original electron, or even the whole person.

Please do not explain to the students that there is no such thing.
The beauty of physics is that such things that were imagined in
the minds of past are present day realities now.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(A city that was beyond the imagination only 10,000 years ago)