Way,WAY off topic diatribe -was : Paying to present

In general, scholarly papers and journals have been proliferating,
and their prices have been steeply rising too.

The market has a way of curbing and encouraging demand, and supply.
And this is a prime if unfair example of the pricing mechanism.

It is not a perfect method. To mention a different market pricing
example, and one that is attracting some disapprobation: when the
Harvard endowment investors are paid a princely wage, though this
be indeed the going rate on Wall Street, their once grateful alumni
look askance, bequest-wise.

Or, more egregiously, if captains of industry find a way to be paid in the
millions, in good years and bad, and can confect a pretty golden parachute
on the eve of being fired for their incompetence, the great unwashed small
investor, is not pleased.

The contrast between best-paid and worst paid American is striking,
in international terms. It contrasts starkly with the countries where the
highest standards of living are said to exist.
One recalls the suggestion that this disparity was a factor in the French
Revolution.

Diatribe into top gear |now|

[But I say only: Let them eat cake. Things cannot be so bad
when the can-do folks of the Orl Bidness are at the helm, feathering
(or is it tarring) their respective nests with single-source contracts.
How different things would have been if the prototypical media
make do and mend Earth Mother had connections on the oil patch. ]

Still, to be publically punished in part for lying may be just the slap
on the gluteus that the aforementioned and mendacious captains need,
or certainly, deserve.....

Diatribe to neutral |now|

Brian W