Re: major-nonmajor

I would like to start a thread that might relate to the thread "Opening at
East Central College". Even if it does not relate, I think it is an issue
that needs some attention because of the cynicism (and hardship) it
produces.

I have had students, and even my children, who went into college in a
given major and who discovered that when taking courses outside of their
major were placed in classes with students within that major. And even worse
than that, in some courses outside their major, even though all students
were non-majors they had a class taught by a professor who used essentially
the same syllabus as was used for the majors in that field. ( I suspect this
is more prone to happen in smaller colleges where the staff available is
very limited)
I do not believe that that is appropriate or makes any pedagogical
sense. My major was Physics, and I do not believe that I should be required
to paint like a Picasso or compose like a Bach in order to be competent in
my field just as History and Elementary majors should not be held to the
same standards as Physics majors when taking classes outside their major-but
it does happen. And when it does, what recourse does the student have?
Essentially, none. I have no solution to this dilemma, and I would like to
hear some ideas here. A person who goes to a doctor or lawyer who they feel
is acting inappropriately can easily go to another one, but the same is not
at all true for a student who may have a couple years and many thousands of
dollars already invested. Yes, Deans are often called on to arbitrate these
situations, but I wonder how much guidance thay have. Do they cave in to the
bottom line or what is appropriate to the student if these are not
congruent?

Fred Bucheit Retired Physics teacher.

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN.