Re: shock wave as pressure builds in a vacuum?

I haven't read carefully so the following may be irrelevant:

I think Stefan is stuck with Be -- is not this for X-ray detection? If
so, another material will fluoresce and overly complicate the data.

I suspect a very large number of materials are tougher than Be. I mean
the ability to absorb energy without fracture, as measured, for example,
by a Charpy test *. If fluorescence is not a problem, a composite such
as Kapton with a carbon film vacuum deposited would be appropriate. If
I remember correctly such composites are not brittle, yet have a Y of ~
100k PSI.

With so much engineering data on this problem available, I'm surprised
Stefan has this problem.

For example I find that Be has two forms (BCC and HCP) Therefor, it may
be heat treatable.
Tho such treatment will make Be harder it may also inhibit crack
propagation.

* A more appropriate test for brittle materials?:
http://www.terratek.com/equipment/fracto_1.htm

QGS (quick Google search):

"Fracture Toughness of Beryllium" with D.O. Harris; Journal of
Materials, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 59-72, 1968.

Effect of temperature on spall failure of some metals and alloys: "The
computational analysis of shock-wave loading and spall failure
conditions was performed using a program of numerical calculation of
one-dimensional elastic-plastic flows. "
http://www.eps.org/aps/meet/SHOCK99/baps/abs/S2400006.html

17.28 STRENGTHENING OF BERYLLIUM AT THE EARLY STAGE OF LOW TEMPERATURE
NEUTRON IRRADIATION
G.A. Sernyaev: http://www.pnl.gov/icfrm9/session17.html

bc

Roger Haar wrote:

Stefan,
I am not sure the Be windows are tougher than
your polymer ( kaptan?? ).

If you are looking for solutions, I am wondering
if the solid state detectors like made by AMPTEK
(www.amptek.com) or Contech (www.contech.com)
could be retrofitted. The Amptek are what was in
the "nose" of the Martian Rover. These seem to be
in the $2500-$5000 range. These detectors are
small but you might be able to get them closer.

I am guessing you are replacing your own windows
because it cost us about $1000 to get Ortec to
replace the Be window + refurbish.

Thanks
Roger Haar