Re: using cinematography to anchor kinematics

At 11:55 AM 5/26/2003 -0700, Richard Hake
<rrhake@EARTHLINK.NET> you wrote:

In his PhysLrnR post of 26 May 2003 of the above subject title,
Robert Beichner (2003) wrote:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 06:28 PM, Kirby Urner . . . [2003]. . . wrote:

> For some time, I've been experimenting with cinematography as a
> technology amenable to communicating some basic ideas in kinematics.
> Of course I'm not unique in this regard, and one point of this thread
> might be to garner some sense how my pedagogical approach overlaps
> what's already in the literature, given many here have greater
> awareness of the literature than I.

Might I so humbly suggest:

Beichner, R. and Abbott, D. (1999). Video-Based Labs for Introductory
Physics Courses. J. Coll. Sci. Teaching, 29, 101-104.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
[Beicher lists nine excellent Beichner et al. references on video-based labs
and kinematics].
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Not to be outdone in humility by the self-effacing Bob Beichner, may
I so modestly suggest a quick scan of Hake (1998a,b) and references
therein. In Socratic Dialogue Lab #0.2 "Introduction to Kinematics,"
phonons from the sonic ranger reflected from students' own moving
bodies [see e.g. Thornton & Sokoloff (1990), Steinberg et al. (1997)]
substitute for the photons of cinematography reflected from moving
objects.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>

Attempting to keep pace with the general self-effacement, I offer
a remembrance that is not self-referential: In the days following
the immolation of the New York landmark feature, there was a
kinematic digitization of the towers' fall, by a contributor
to this list.
The follow ups notably included an investigation of a marked
contribution to the kinematic fall model from a sinusoid,
decided (by Mallinckrodt, if I recall) to be due to a fourier
component of the step pause early in the collapse, while the
first subfloor gave way. The discussion here was as useful as
anything I saw later.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK