Re: using cinematography to anchor kinematics

In his Phys-L post of 26 May 2003 21:29:06-0500, Brian Whatcott wrote:

"In the days following the immolation of the New York landmark. .
.[Twin towers - 1368 & 1362 ft - 110 stories - World Trade Center
<http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/wonder/structure/world_trade.html>].
. . there was a kinematic digitization of the towers' fall, by a
contributor to this list. The follow ups notably included an
investigation of a marked contribution to the kinematic fall model
from a sinusoid, decided (by Mallinckrodt, if I recall) to be due to
a fourier component of the step pause early in the collapse, while
the first subfloor gave way. The discussion here was as useful as
anything I saw later."

A brief visit to the generally ignored Phys-L search engine
<http://lists.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=phys-l> brought up the crucial
contributions alluded to by Whatcott [Carlson (2001a,b,c);
Mallinckrodt (2001)], as well as a key observation due to Whatcott
(2001) himself. [I shall forego my curmudgeon <:-{ essays [e.g., Hake
(2003, 2002)] on the virtues of consulting archives and posting