Re: When Physical Intuition Fails

At 11:59 AM 10/29/02, John Mallinckrodt, you wrote:
... In the case we are discussing an elastic collision is
strictly impossible even in theory as the Newtonian analysis makes
clear.

/snip/

John Mallinckrodt

Hmmm.... how elastic does the substrate need to be in the
transverse direction of translation for John to admit the possibility that
an initial stretch of the substrate in the "forward" direction (and
compression in the opposite direction), can return
its stored energy to the rolling cylinder as the translation proceeds?

Perhaps visualizing a rubber membrane as the substrate might help
the intuition here?
Or am I missing some feature of the math model that must exclude
the high mu, no slip case from realisation?

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!